The 7th Annual TBI Conference will be January 22-24, 2017 at the Fairmont Hotel in Dallas, TX.
See you there!
2016 CONFERENCE PRESENTIONS, PICTURES AND ATTENDEES
Photos for the 2016 conference are available from FinisherPix at myfinisherpix.gallery/TBI2016
- Challenge Family, Zibi Szlufcik
- Hiding in Plain Sight - A Look at Legal Issues Facing Endurance Sports, Kelly Burns Gallagher, Esq.
- Integrated Data Into Triathlon Planning, Sam Renouf
- IRONMAN, Andrew Messick
- Isklar Norseman Xtreme Triathlon "Bad to the Bones", Dag Oliver
- Top 10 Things Every Race Director Should Know, Jack Caress, Ryan Coelho, Mark Walter, Kris Gemmell
- Tri Sustainability: A USAT and ITU Perspective, Barry Siff
Conference Media Releases
- TBI Award Winners! Best Tri Events, Videos, Multisport Retailers, Article & Photographs (January 26, 2016)
- Top 50 Multisport Retailers Announced by Slowtwitch.com & TBI (January 18, 2016)
- 2nd Multisport Industry Confidence Index Being Conducted by TBI (January 13, 2016)
- Race Director Track at TBI Conference Focuses on Issues and Needs of Today’s Event Producers (Dec. 17, 2015)
- TBI Announces That Voting for “Best of” Events & Video Awards is Open (Dec. 14, 2015)
- TBI Opens Awards Nominations for Best Triathlon Published Article and Photo of the Year (Dec. 3, 2015)
- Strava’s David Lorsch to Discuss the Dynamic Space Where Technology & Athletic Performance Meet at TBI’s 6th Annual Conference (Nov. 18, 2015)
- U.S. Congresswoman & IRONMAN Kyrsten Sinema to Open TBI Conference (Nov. 12, 2015)
- IRONMAN's Andrew Messick and USAT President Barry Siff Speaking at 2016 TBI Conference (Nov. 5, 2015)
- Registration Opens for TBI's 2016 Annual Triathlon Business Conference in Marina del Rey (Oct. 22, 2015)
2016 Conference Sponsors
2015 Conference Presentions, Pictures and Attendees
Below is a library of resources that came out of the three days of networking, deal-making and education in 2015:
Results of the Lapio 5K on Monday morning
- Pictures of the conference by FinisherPix
- Social media resources and information from the SM presentation
- Trends and Horizons in Triathlon, Pat Hus, Managing Director, interbike
- Trends and Horizons in Triathlon, Brian Mahoney, Director of Global Projects, ITU
- Social Media: Making it Work for You, Matthew Le Veque, Assoc. Professor, USC Annenberg School of Communication & Journalism
- Legal Challenges for Race Directors, Kelly Burns Gallagher, Esq., McCarter & English Attorneyss at Law
- Effective Tools for Financial Management of an Event Business, Steve Gintowt & Richard Adler
- Ironman/Life Time Partnership "Women for Tri", Andrew Messick & Kimo Seymour
- Crowdfunding, Mark Allen
- Non-endemic Partnership Marketing: A Transamerica Case Study, Casey Cortese, Vice-president Marketing, Transamerica Direct
- ITU Grand Final Chicago 2015, Christian Toetzke, CEO, Lagardere Unlimited Events.
- High Tech Ground Game: Connecting Stakeholders to Raise Engagement, Dan Empfield & Karen Sing, Slowtwitch.com
What 2015 TBI Conference Attendees Had to Say - updated January 23, 2015
Kelly Burns Gallagher, Esq., Speaker: "As somewhat of an outsider and a first time attendee, I think the conference and TBI in general does lots of things right. First and foremost, TBI is working to fill a void that exists in the world of triathlon – providing a space for stakeholders to connect, learn, do business and hopefully generate growth and progress for the sport as whole (contrary to popular belief the conference is not a WTC/Ironman love fest, I think its the first triathlon event I have been to where I didn’t see hundreds of Ironman branded hats, shirts and bags). Given the current climate where one corporation dominates so much of the sport, this is a huge task and TBI needs to be applauded for its efforts. Second there were some fantastic speakers and panels. Dan Empfield did a very nice interview of Felix Walchshofer (founder of the Challenge Family Races), there were some very good nuts and bolts panels for race directors on legal, financial issues, social media and leveraging sponsorships (full disclosure, I presented at the legal panel, you can view my presentation here), the conference provided some very useful early results on the on-going Multisport Research survey (if you haven’t taken the survey, you really should). These are all good things." Connecting the Dots - Impressions of #TBIConf 2015
@activeendurance: "Thanks for the show @TriBusinessIntl - looking forward to 2016. #TBIConf #TriACTIVE" - Jan 27
@SetonClaggett: You learn real quick who has a genuine interest in growing #triathlon when you look at the attendees at #TBIConf @TriBusinessIntl - Jan 27
@HurdleCompany: We really enjoyed #TBIConf and are excited for RunningUSA New Orleans 2/8-10. @TribusinessIntl you’ll see us in a booth next year!
2015 Conference SPONSORS
The ACTIVE Network
2015 TBI Awards Celebration to Honor Triathlon's Best
Triathlon Business International recognized and honored the best companies, programs and athletes in the triathlon industry at the TBI/ACTIVE Network Awards Celebration on Monday night of the Conference.
Ron Smith Award - Marisol Casado, President, ITU
Top 10 Retailers of the Year - 1. Trisports.com, Tucson, AZ; 2. Gear West Bike and Triathlon, Long Lake, MN; 3. All3Sports, Atlanta, GA; 4. Nytro Multisport, Encinitas, CA; 5. Austin Tri Cyclist, Austin, TX; 6. R&A Cycles, Brooklyn, NY; 7. T3 Multisport, Indianapolis, IN; 8. Moment Cycle Sport, San Diego, CA; 9. Athletes Lounge, Portland, OR; 10. Speedy Reedy, Seattle, WA
Best Published Triathlon Photograph print or online - IRONMAN Kona, women’s age groupers start by Rocky Arroyo, Endurapix, published in Lumina Magazine (Japan)
Best Published Written Triathlon article print or online - “Does Not Play Well with Others” by Brad Culp, LAVA Magazine, September 2014
"Triathlete's Choice" best-of events - Large event (1,000+) = IRONMAN Lake Placid; Small event (less than 1,000) = Pumpkinman Triathlon, South Berwick, ME; Toughest = IRONMAN 70.3 St. George, Utah; Urban = New York City Triathlon; For Beginners = Pumpkinman Triathlon, South Berwick, ME; Scenic = Challenge Wanaka in New Zealand
Triathlon highlight of the year - Mirinda Carfrae's 2014 IRONMAN finish
The Ron Smith Award is considered the "Heisman" of the sport of triathlon, the award honors an outstanding individual in the sport of triathlete. Above left, Brian Mahoney (RT), ITU Director of Global Projects, accepts the Ron Smith Award on behalf of ITU president Marisol Casado from TBI president Jack Caress (LFT).
The Marina del Rey Marriott will be the host hotel for the 2016 Triathlon Business International Conference. Located near LAX and the beach, the hotel offers a distinctly modern, yet sophisticated hotel experience. With 370 guest rooms offering both water and mountain views, the hotel in Marina del Rey offers a prime location near Venice Beach. Enjoy the incredibly inviting lobby, along with emBer – a uniquely designed outdoor lounge surrounded by a special blend of water and fire elements, infused with a hip and eclectic vibe. Located just 3-blocks from Venice Beach & easily accessible to Los Angeles area attractions, the Marina del Rey hotel provides an ideal meeting and social destination offering everything you need to relax and be productive.
Link to directions and transportation options for the hotel.
Marina del Rey Marriott
4100 Admiralty Way
Marina del Rey, CA 90292
The rooms offer wireless and wired internet, 32” HDTVs, luxurious pillow-top mattresses and down blankets, and in-room coffee makers. The hotel has a fitness center with cardio machines and free weights, as well as an outdoor heated pool and whirlpool.
Reservations are available online, or by calling toll free 1-800-228-9290 and booking under the "Triathlon Business International Meeting" group.
The Marina del Rey Marriott is located just 5 miles northwest of Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). It is a short cab ride from LAX to Marina del Rey, and the airport is also served by all the major rental car companies.
Link to directions and transportation options for the hotel.
- Support the Industry Team up with industry leaders to guide the future
- Help Your Business Learn best practices, latest trends, share ideas
- Grow the Sport Work together to attract more participants to the sport
Do I REALLY Need a Marketing Plan?
March 27, 2016