Where the Business of Triathlon Gets Done
2018 Conference - Tempe, AZ, January 26-28
If you're in the multisport business and are looking for information, tools and solutions to help you come out on top in today's world, the Triathlon Business International annual business conferences are where the business of triathlon gets done! The 8th Annual Business Conference will be held in Tempe, AZ January 26-28, 2018! Join us!
- Registration Opens for TBI’s 2018 Annual Triathlon Business Conference in Tempe, AZ (Sept. 19, 2017)
- 8th Annual TBI Conference to be Held in Tempe, AZ, Jan. 26-28, 2018 (August 17, 2017)
2018 Conference Registration
- $475 through December 31, 2017 (This is an "all-in" fee; no additional charges will be added at checkout)
- $575 from January 1, 2018 to the Conference
- $575 through December 31, 2017 (This is an "all-in" fee; no additional charges will be added at checkout)
- $675 from January 1, 2018 to the Conference
** Nonmembers will have the opportunity to join TBI during the Conference registration process. If you join TBI at registration, you will receive the $100 discount of a current member. Membership benefits
2017 Conference - Dallas, TX
The 7th Annual Conference was held in Dallas, TX, January 22-24, 2017.
Full recap of the 2017 Conference by Gary Roethenbaugh, TriathlonBusiness.com
See the 2017 Conference pictures by clicking on the FinisherPix logo. Images will be uploaded continually starting Sunday night.
2017 Best-of Winners
2016 Best Published Photo by Donald Miralle for LAVA Magazine, Dec. 2016
2016 Best Published Article by Brad Culp for LAVA Magazine, April 2016
(please click on the article for the complete PDF)
“How does 4X Triathlon World Champion Mirinda “Rinny” Carfrae Recover? With Chocolate Milk,” 2016. This was produced by Weber Shandwick/Chicago on behalf of their client Milk Processor Education Program
Triathlete's Choice Best-of Events:
- LARGE Event - IRONMAN 70.3 Atlantic City
- SMALL Event - Tri the Wildwoods
- INTRO Event for Beginners - Tri the Wildwoods
- Bucketlist Event - Isklar Norseman Xtreme Triathlon
Speaker PPTs & Articles
Lance Armstrong Interview with Dan Empfield (video)
Sara Gross, Ph.D. - Expanding Diversity in Triathlon
Rob Urbach - State of the Union, USA Triathlon
Amy Thayer, Ph.D. - Millennial Running Study
Sam Renouf, GM, Sports, ACTIVE Network - Delivering Experiences Throughout the Event Lifecycle That Can Transcend the Sport
Transcript of "Marketing on Limited Dollars" by ACTIVE Endurance
2017 Conference Media Releases
- TBI Winners! Best Tri Events, Videos, Published Articles & Photographer, January 23, 2017
- Amy Thayer, Ph.D. Joins Speaker Lineup at TBI Conference, January 17, 2017
- Dallas CVB CEO and IRONMAN Phillip Jones to Speak at Joint TBI/USAT Luncheon, January 11, 2017
- TBI Conducting Its 3rd Annual Business Confidence Survey Looking Toward 2017, January 9, 2017
- TBI Will Honor Valerie Silk and Richard Bryne at 2017 TBI Conference, January 5, 2017
- TBI Announces “Triathlete’s Choice” Best-of Event Finalists, December 29, 2016
- Changing Retailer Dynamics, Alternative Event Formats & Delivering Experiences Throughout the Event Lifecycle are More Topics at the 2017 TBI Conference, December 13, 2016
- Growing Tri Diversity; Working with Municipalities; and Innovative Corporate Partnerships are Among 1st Day TBI Conference Topics, December 7, 2016
- Lance Armstrong to Open 2017 TBI Conference, November 30, 2016
- TBI Opens Awards Nominations for Best Triathlon Published Article, Photo & Video of the Year, November 29, 2016
- Registration Opens for TBI’s Annual Business Conference in Dallas, TX, October 10, 2016
- TBI and USA Triathlon Collaborate on Annual Business and Race Director Conferences, August 30, 2016
2017 Award Nominations Information
- Best Large Race (1,000+ registrants)
- Best Small Race (less than 1,000 registrants)
- Bucketlist Race
- Best Intro Race for Beginners
- Triathlon article or photo must be published and have appeared in a print or online media outlet in the 2016 calendar year.
- Individual writers and photographers may self-submit as long as the article/photo was published. Publications may submit an article or photo on behalf of the author(s) or photographer(s). Proof of publication must be provided with the article. A PDF of the article must also be submitted. If the article has been published on line, a link to the article must be included.
- Publications may enter multiple submissions, but only three submissions are allowed per author or photographer. If a writer is also a photographer (or vice versa), he/she may submit no more than three articles and three photos.
- Submissions must include the name, email address and phone number of the author or photographer.
Best Triathlon Event and Product Videos Criteria ( separate categories): (NOMINATIONS CLOSED DEC. 28)
- Must be about a triathlon-related event or product.
- Can be used for any purpose, but the purpose must be included in your submittal email (e.g., pre-event promotion, post-event promo, product launch, product testimonial)
- Submitted videos cannot be longer than 2 minutes
- A submitter can submit up to 3 entries
- Submissions must include the submitter’s name, email address, and event/product name
- The focus of the judging will be about how well the entry communicatse the qualities of the event or product and the call-to-action for the viewer (if any). This will not be judged on a professional job vs. a good amateur job. TBI is looking for content/script
Nominations closed on Wednesday, December 28, 2016.
2017 Conference Sponsors
2016 CONFERENCE PRESENTIONS, PICTURES AND ATTENDEES
Photos for the 2016 conference are available from FinisherPix at myfinisherpix.gallery/TBI2016
- Challenge Family, Zibi Szlufcik
- Hiding in Plain Sight - A Look at Legal Issues Facing Endurance Sports, Kelly Burns Gallagher, Esq.
- Integrated Data Into Triathlon Planning, Sam Renouf
- IRONMAN, Andrew Messick
- Isklar Norseman Xtreme Triathlon "Bad to the Bones", Dag Oliver
- Top 10 Things Every Race Director Should Know, Jack Caress, Ryan Coelho, Mark Walter, Kris Gemmell
- Tri Sustainability: A USAT and ITU Perspective, Barry Siff
Conference Media Releases
- TBI Award Winners! Best Tri Events, Videos, Multisport Retailers, Article & Photographs (January 26, 2016)
- Top 50 Multisport Retailers Announced by Slowtwitch.com & TBI (January 18, 2016)
- 2nd Multisport Industry Confidence Index Being Conducted by TBI (January 13, 2016)
- Race Director Track at TBI Conference Focuses on Issues and Needs of Today’s Event Producers (Dec. 17, 2015)
- TBI Announces That Voting for “Best of” Events & Video Awards is Open (Dec. 14, 2015)
- TBI Opens Awards Nominations for Best Triathlon Published Article and Photo of the Year (Dec. 3, 2015)
- Strava’s David Lorsch to Discuss the Dynamic Space Where Technology & Athletic Performance Meet at TBI’s 6th Annual Conference (Nov. 18, 2015)
- U.S. Congresswoman & IRONMAN Kyrsten Sinema to Open TBI Conference (Nov. 12, 2015)
- IRONMAN's Andrew Messick and USAT President Barry Siff Speaking at 2016 TBI Conference (Nov. 5, 2015)
- Registration Opens for TBI's 2016 Annual Triathlon Business Conference in Marina del Rey (Oct. 22, 2015)
2016 Conference Sponsors
2015 Conference Presentions, Pictures and Attendees
Below is a library of resources that came out of the three days of networking, deal-making and education in 2015:
Results of the Lapio 5K on Monday morning
- Pictures of the conference by FinisherPix
- Social media resources and information from the SM presentation
- Trends and Horizons in Triathlon, Pat Hus, Managing Director, interbike
- Trends and Horizons in Triathlon, Brian Mahoney, Director of Global Projects, ITU
- Social Media: Making it Work for You, Matthew Le Veque, Assoc. Professor, USC Annenberg School of Communication & Journalism
- Legal Challenges for Race Directors, Kelly Burns Gallagher, Esq., McCarter & English Attorneyss at Law
- Effective Tools for Financial Management of an Event Business, Steve Gintowt & Richard Adler
- Ironman/Life Time Partnership "Women for Tri", Andrew Messick & Kimo Seymour
- Crowdfunding, Mark Allen
- Non-endemic Partnership Marketing: A Transamerica Case Study, Casey Cortese, Vice-president Marketing, Transamerica Direct
- ITU Grand Final Chicago 2015, Christian Toetzke, CEO, Lagardere Unlimited Events.
- High Tech Ground Game: Connecting Stakeholders to Raise Engagement, Dan Empfield & Karen Sing, Slowtwitch.com
What 2015 TBI Conference Attendees Had to Say - updated January 23, 2015
Kelly Burns Gallagher, Esq., Speaker: "As somewhat of an outsider and a first time attendee, I think the conference and TBI in general does lots of things right. First and foremost, TBI is working to fill a void that exists in the world of triathlon – providing a space for stakeholders to connect, learn, do business and hopefully generate growth and progress for the sport as whole (contrary to popular belief the conference is not a WTC/Ironman love fest, I think its the first triathlon event I have been to where I didn’t see hundreds of Ironman branded hats, shirts and bags). Given the current climate where one corporation dominates so much of the sport, this is a huge task and TBI needs to be applauded for its efforts. Second there were some fantastic speakers and panels. Dan Empfield did a very nice interview of Felix Walchshofer (founder of the Challenge Family Races), there were some very good nuts and bolts panels for race directors on legal, financial issues, social media and leveraging sponsorships (full disclosure, I presented at the legal panel, you can view my presentation here), the conference provided some very useful early results on the on-going Multisport Research survey (if you haven’t taken the survey, you really should). These are all good things." Connecting the Dots - Impressions of #TBIConf 2015
@activeendurance: "Thanks for the show @TriBusinessIntl - looking forward to 2016. #TBIConf #TriACTIVE" - Jan 27
@SetonClaggett: You learn real quick who has a genuine interest in growing #triathlon when you look at the attendees at #TBIConf @TriBusinessIntl - Jan 27
@HurdleCompany: We really enjoyed #TBIConf and are excited for RunningUSA New Orleans 2/8-10. @TribusinessIntl you’ll see us in a booth next year!
2015 Conference SPONSORS
The ACTIVE Network
2015 TBI Awards Celebration to Honor Triathlon's Best
Triathlon Business International recognized and honored the best companies, programs and athletes in the triathlon industry at the TBI/ACTIVE Network Awards Celebration on Monday night of the Conference.
Ron Smith Award - Marisol Casado, President, ITU
Top 10 Retailers of the Year - 1. Trisports.com, Tucson, AZ; 2. Gear West Bike and Triathlon, Long Lake, MN; 3. All3Sports, Atlanta, GA; 4. Nytro Multisport, Encinitas, CA; 5. Austin Tri Cyclist, Austin, TX; 6. R&A Cycles, Brooklyn, NY; 7. T3 Multisport, Indianapolis, IN; 8. Moment Cycle Sport, San Diego, CA; 9. Athletes Lounge, Portland, OR; 10. Speedy Reedy, Seattle, WA
Best Published Triathlon Photograph print or online - IRONMAN Kona, women’s age groupers start by Rocky Arroyo, Endurapix, published in Lumina Magazine (Japan)
Best Published Written Triathlon article print or online - “Does Not Play Well with Others” by Brad Culp, LAVA Magazine, September 2014
"Triathlete's Choice" best-of events - Large event (1,000+) = IRONMAN Lake Placid; Small event (less than 1,000) = Pumpkinman Triathlon, South Berwick, ME; Toughest = IRONMAN 70.3 St. George, Utah; Urban = New York City Triathlon; For Beginners = Pumpkinman Triathlon, South Berwick, ME; Scenic = Challenge Wanaka in New Zealand
Triathlon highlight of the year - Mirinda Carfrae's 2014 IRONMAN finish
The Ron Smith Award is considered the "Heisman" of the sport of triathlon, the award honors an outstanding individual in the sport of triathlete. Above left, Brian Mahoney (RT), ITU Director of Global Projects, accepts the Ron Smith Award on behalf of ITU president Marisol Casado from TBI president Jack Caress (LFT).
- Help Grow the Industry Team up with industry leaders to guide the future
- Help Your Business Learn best practices, latest trends, share ideas
- Help Grow the Sport Work together to attract more participants to the sport
TBI is a multisport industry organization of businesses and individuals who support the growth and success of triathlon as a business and a sport.
Changing the Color of Triathlon
May 29, 2017